old fashioned chocolate icing that hardens
old fashioned peanut butter icing post (here). Did your granny ever make one of those cakes where, when she cut into it, the icing would crack and break off in huge fudgey chunks? Boil briskly 1 minute or on a very humid day 1 1/2 minutes. (mixture will … She always topped fluffy white cakes with it. Once your icing is finished, remove it from the heat and use a wire whisk to quickly stir in your cocoa powder and vanilla, stirring until it thickens a bit and starts to lose some of its shine. Watch me make this Old-Fashioned Chocolate Frosting from start to finish! Add the milk, stir well, and bring the frosting to a lively boil, stirring often. This is now my go to chocolate frosting recipe. Well, I’ve got another one coming up that I think will be a hit with all! If you prefer it thinner, add more milk but only a drop at a time. To make this, you’ll need:  A white cake mix, prepared in a 9×13 pan according to package directions, and cooled. Subscribe to Christy's Free Recipe Email plus a FREE Printable Recipe Binder kit! made according to package directions and cooled. HOWEVER the final cake pictured has a double recipe. This recipe makes enough frosting for the tops of two 8 inch cake layers. buttercream, chocolate, chocolate frosting, icing, old fashioned. Fried Sweet Potato Hand Pies!! by debbie So now that you have agreed to go with chocolate frosting for your yellow cake, (I do this to my husband all the time) let me share with you a fantastic recipe for old-fashioned chocolate frosting! <3 <3 Thank you, Monique! Absolutely amazing ! This icing hardens very quickly, so it’s easiest to use on a sheet cake, where you simply pour it over the cake while it’s still in the pan and allow it to cool. PLEASE do not copy recipes and post on your site or use my photos without permission (see above legal notice). Hey there Debbie!This may be what you are looking for:2 oz. The secrets to boiled icing are 1) keep stirring, 2) wait until the mixture looks flat instead of shiny and 3) spread FAST- you have about a minute until it sets. I sure do wish we could sit down and have a nice chat over slides of this cake! I'm looking for a recipe for a chocolate frosting that hardens like fudge. My brother used to ask for one of these special cakes for his birthday and as long as she was able, Pearl would come through! Note: These photos are for a single recipe of icing. How? This is that icing. Cook over medium-high heat until large bubbles form and reaches a hard boil. The boiling of the icing is the most critical step. Only those who have the crown of wisdom that comes through age and hardship can ice a layer cake with this. This is the recipe (only tweaked a tad by increasing the butter and adding in extracts and salt) that are in so many of my grandmother’s old cookbooks, including the 1930’s Hershey’s cookbook. Boil one minute at a … You’ll also need: Shortening, Butter, Milk, Sugar, Cocoa Powder, and Vanilla. Once it reaches a boil, let boil for two to three minutes without stirring. Click here to check out the Peanut Butter Version of this icing. I mean… I would still eat the entire cake, I’m not rude! I opened the pantry door and stood there brainstorming. Although it is a beloved family favorite, not a single relative has been successful in their attempts to recreate it. My mother-in-law used to make it and unfortunately I waited to long to get the recipe. Remove from heat and allow to cool to about room temperature. It's easy to do. No melting chocolate, just throw it all in a bowl and mix until creamy. Recipes to feed your body and warm your heart. Do not allow it to come to room temperature in the pan or you'll never get it on the cake! In a large sauce pot, combine sugar, milk, shortening, margarine, and salt. Grandma Pearl’s Flaky Chocolate Icing is the stuff of legend in my family. unsweetened baking chocolate1 1/2 c. sugar7 tbsp. I’ve tried just about every frosting recipe and this has just the right consistency and thickness, and tastes even better than pillsbury icing ! Y’all have a great afternoon. This is what the old folks call a “boiled icing” because they cooked it in a saucepot on top of the stove and it had to come to a full rolling boil and stay there a minute or two until it was ready. Most important tip of all: Unless you lived through the Great Depression, I strongly encourage you not to use this on anything other than a sheet cake. The pinch of salt and cocoa powder brings the sweetness down to a reasonable level. I was honored when my dear friend Maggie recently asked for my baking assistance; she wanted to conquer her grandmother’s celebrated chocolate cake recipe and thought I might be able to help. vanillaPlace all ingredients except vanilla in a saucepan (1 quart) and bring slowly to a full, rolling boil, stirring frequently. This recipe featured in Meal Plan Monday and Weekend Potluck! Allow to cool. can margarine be used in place of real butter?? Sure it’s not the most high-end, unsweetened cocoa powder brand but it’s a true classic and really lends that old-fashioned flavor that I grew up on. Don’t try to spread the icing once you’ve poured it, instead, pour it evenly over the cake so that no spreading is needed. I like the, Yep! Mix in milk, vanilla extract, butter flavoring and salt, until creamy. It should still be pourable. The full printable recipe card for Grandma Pearl’s Flaky Chocolate Icing is at the bottom of this post so make sure you check that out. If you’d like the peanut butter version of this icing, it can be found by clicking here. It’s a rule. Once its only lukewarm beat in the vanilla and continue beating by hand until its cooled to a spreading consistency, then immediately spread it on the cake and allow it to finish hardening.If it becomes to hard to spread, you can add a little cream or warm it over hot water. This chocolate frosting I’m going to be sharing with you today is the bee’s knees, ankles, and toes! The process is similar to making fudge but we don’t use a thermometer, relying on the clock instead. You absolutely must have your cake done and ready the moment the icing is done. August 17, 2018 By divas can cook 6 Comments. These recipes are twins, with just a one ingredient difference.

My Way Piano Musescore, Death Time Good Or Bad In Tamil, Maui Disney Doll, E6000 Glue For Patches, Guided Mushroom Trip Colorado, Tri Five Chevy Parts, Brandon Andrew Clark Photos, Flow Easy Drain Opener Sds, Xenia Emulator Mac, Nick Leddy Salary, Mario Kart 64 Rom Hacks, Slip Stitch Crochet, April Skateboards Og Logo, Shelter (2007) Full Movie, Fortnite Ip Grabber, Nove Tv App, Islamic Birthday Duas For Son, Aj Jenkins Net Worth, Myra Lady Butler, Feel Like Someone Is Holding Me Down In My Sleep, Are Hedgehogs Scared Of Humans, List Of Toponymic Surnames, Weekly Horoscope Gemini, Porsche Code Reader, Goldendoodle Breeders Pa, Engineer Mode Apk Oneplus, Adopt Me Pet Names, Battlefield 4 Servers Shut Down 2020, Creeping Jenny Seeds, The Operative Movie Ending Explained, Is Dr Brian Russell Married, Fisherman Plural Possessive, Mooneye Fish Recipes, Billy Dean St George Island, Freya Symbol Tattoo, Hydro Dipping With Enamel Paint, Bret Baier Republican Or Democrat, Jamaree Salyer Draft, Appetizers That Pair With Grenache, Taurus Model 94 22 Magnum Revolver, Balthazar Season 3, Keith Burke Wiki, Bonita Patio Furniture, Marriage Words In Tamil, Melting Pot Vs Mosaic Essay, Josh Perkins Instagram, Baylee Littrell Net Worth, Bintime Augusta Ga, Find The Emoji Answers Powerball, Evert Louwman Net Worth, Abandoned Mansions In Houston, Ann Reinking Son Height, Cca Inmate List, Ragdoll Rescue California, Wasp Mom At Olive Garden Tiktok, Costco Gazebo 12x12, Valak True Form, Nz Wired Deloitte, Sicilian Slang Insults, Portal Roms Wii, Gold 1 Oxide Formula, Last Epoch Wiki, Fabolous Quotes Summertime Shootout 3, Ubrs Rend Run, Casey Bridges Death, Melanie Bracewell Father, Insidious Chapter 5 Date De Sortie, 1950s Tv Shows, Wildcat Minecraft Texture Pack, Trump Sleeve Flag, Scottish Insults Quiz, Miky Woodz Height, Bernard Curry Wife, Nba 2k20 Events Calendar, Ash Drake 5e, Cheapest Double Rifle, Mile 22 Part 2, Paladins Stats Bot, Mario Lopez Net Worth, Zdt Discount Code, Diamond Deshields Married, Griffin Cleverly Age, Kori Rotti Amazon, Surprise Trip Announcement Poem, Xherdan Shaqiri Wife, Shirley Face Cream, Lottery Gift Packs Nsw, Dirty Speak Out Phrases,