psalm 31 the message
Take me seriously this time! 30 I give you all the credit, God—. (, Compiled & Edited by BibleStudyTools Staff. Don’t give up. But David’s enemies didn’t know the sincerity of David’s repentance or the magnitude of God’s grace. 9-13). Some take tranquilizers or turn to illegal drugs or alcohol. God-defiers are always in trouble; God-affirmers find themselves loved every time they turn around. We can’t be certain of the exact situation that lies behind this psalm. But I trust in you, LORD; I say, “You are my God.”. 6-13 I hate all this silly religion,    but you, God, I trust.I’m leaping and singing in the circle of your love;    you saw my pain,    you disarmed my tormentors,You didn’t leave me in their clutches    but gave me room to breathe.Be kind to me, God—    I’m in deep, deep trouble again.I’ve cried my eyes out;    I feel hollow inside.My life leaks away, groan by groan;    my years fade out in sighs.My troubles have worn me out,    turned my bones to powder.To my enemies I’m a monster;    I’m ridiculed by the neighbors.My friends are horrified;    they cross the street to avoid me.They want to blot me from memory,    forget me like a corpse in a grave,    discard me like a broken dish in the trash.The street-talk gossip has me    “criminally insane”!Behind locked doors they plot    how to ruin me for good. Rather, it comes from a man who despaired of life itself. Your granite cave a hiding place, your high cliff aerie a place of safety. Rediscover God's grace in a time of lingering chaos and uncertainty. Even many Christians ignore the spiritual dangers of these methods and claim that they help them to cope with stress. 3 For You are my rock and my fortress; Therefore, for Your name’s sake, Lead … Retail: $39.99. 31 1-2 I run to you, God; I run for dear life. 10:13)! The Lord preserves the faithful    but abundantly (AT)repays the one who acts in pride.24 (AU)Be strong, and let your heart take courage,    all you who wait for the Lord! Jeremiah, whose message was rejected and whose life was often threatened, often borrowed another phrase from the psalm as his motto (Jer. 14-18 Desperate, I throw myself on you:    you are my God!Hour by hour I place my days in your hand,    safe from the hands out to get me.Warm me, your servant, with a smile;    save me because you love me.Don’t embarrass me by not showing up;    I’ve given you plenty of notice.Embarrass the wicked, stand them up,    leave them stupidly shaking their heads    as they drift down to hell.Gag those loudmouthed liars    who heckle me, your follower,    with jeers and catcalls. Warm me, your servant, with a smile; save me because you love me. Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools. His love is the wonder of the world. I've cried my eyes out; I feel hollow inside. In you, LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness. All rights reserved worldwide. You hide them safely away from the opposition. Your body is wasting away. 14 But I trust(AI) in you, Lord;    I say, “You are my God.”15 My times(AJ) are in your hands;    deliver me from the hands of my enemies,    from those who pursue me.16 Let your face shine(AK) on your servant;    save me in your unfailing love. Thank God that He is gracious and through the blood of Jesus forgives all our sin, or none of us could be here today! 1 I run to you, God; I run for dear life. In my alarm I said, “I am cut off from your sight!” Yet you heard my cry for mercy when I called to you for help. Copyright © 1993, 2002, 2018 by Eugene H. Peterson. View more titles. Every one of us needs to pray; when all hell breaks loose and the dam bursts we'll be on high ground, untouched. 31 1-2 I run to you, God; I run for dear life. So must we! He states that he is in distress (v. 9). You won’t drop me,    you’ll never let me down. Article Images Copyright © 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. Don't let me down! So when this crisis hit, David had resources in God to lean on. Stress is a fact of life, especially for the godly. 6 I (M)hate[a] those who pay (N)regard to worthless (O)idols,    but I trust in the Lord.7 I will rejoice and be glad in your steadfast love,    because you have seen my affliction;    you have (P)known the distress of my soul,8 and you have not (Q)delivered me into the hand of the enemy;    you have set my feet in (R)a broad place. Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. 31:13). 19-22 What a stack of blessing you have piled up    for those who worship you,Ready and waiting for all who run to you    to escape an unkind world.You hide them safely away    from the opposition.As you slam the door on those oily, mocking faces,    you silence the poisonous gossip.Blessed God! Don’t embarrass me … In you, LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness. Psalm 31:1 I run to you, God; I run for dear life. He angrily flashed at me, “Look, if my wife is in pain and she gets relief from pain there, that’s where we’re going.” I never saw them again. He exhorted them to cast all their anxiety on God, adding (1 Pet. 2, 22). 2, 3). When Faith Passes the Test (Gen. 22:1-19). Gag those loudmouthed liars who heckle me, your follower, with jeers and catcalls. Because of all my enemies, I am the utter contempt of my neighbors and an object of dread to my closest friends— those who see me on the street flee from me. for those who worship you, Ready and waiting for all who run to you. But God is not only the Sovereign of the universe, unapproachable in His splendor and might. His love is the wonder of the world.Trapped by a siege, I panicked. All rights reserved. Whatever the exact circumstances, we know that this psalm is not coming to us out of the ivory tower of a poet who was insulated from life’s pressures. Confidence (5-8) But starting in verse 5 and running to verse 8 we see David putting aside his … Spend time alone with God and His Word, feeding your soul. David confesses (v. 22), “As for me, I said in my alarm, ‘I am cut off from before Your eyes’; nevertheless You heard the voice of my supplications when I cried to You.” Peter wrote to a suffering church, some of whose members were suffering martyrdom. As a result of these problems, you’re struggling with depression. To my enemies I'm a monster; I'm ridiculed by the neighbors. Seemingly out of nowhere, David exclaims (v. 6), “I hate those who regard vain idols, but I trust in the Lord.” Why does he say that there? You won’t drop me,    you’ll never let me down. You didn't leave me in their clutches but gave me room to breathe. 9 Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am (S)in distress;    (T)my eye is wasted from grief;    my soul and my body also.10 For my life is spent with sorrow,    and my years with sighing;my strength fails because of my iniquity,    and (U)my bones waste away. Agree/disagree: Being “stressed out” is evidence of a lack of trust in God? I’ve seen many others who turn to worldly psychology, rather than to God and His Word, for supposed answers to their problems. See that it never comes between you and the Lord—then, the greater the pressure, the more it presses you to His breast” (Dr. & Mrs. Howard Taylor, Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret [Moody Press], p. 152). As I said last week, if you want to pick one word to describe our modern culture, that word would probably be pressure. Q. 3-5 You’re my cave to hide in, my cliff to climb. Your granite cave a hiding place, your high cliff aerie a place of safety. California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. Warm me, your servant, with a smile; save me because you love me. Don't let me down! Celebrate God. But notice again how repetitive he is in the opening verses about God’s being a rock of refuge. Think of Joseph, languishing for the better part of his twenties in the dark Egyptian dungeon, his feet in irons. Warm me, your servant, with a smile; save me because you love me. He graduated from Dallas Theological Seminary (Th.M., 1976 in Bible exposition) and Califo... More. Proud member You won't drop me, you'll never let me down. How can a person who lacks faith in God increase in faith? As you slam the door on those oily, … In verse 6, he affirms again his trust in the Lord. Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. What a stack of blessing you have piled up for those who worship you, Ready and waiting for all who run to you to escape an unkind world. He has unlimited storehouses of goodness for those who fear Him (v. 19), even if they are going through the worst of trials. A psalm of David. that you have stored up for those who fear you. Expect God to get here soon. Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me. 6-13 I hate all this silly religion,    but you, God, I trust.I’m leaping and singing in the circle of your love;    you saw my pain,    you disarmed my tormentors,You didn’t leave me in their clutches    but gave me room to breathe.Be kind to me, God—    I’m in deep, deep trouble again.I’ve cried my eyes out;    I feel hollow inside.My life leaks away, groan by groan;    my years fade out in sighs.My troubles have worn me out,    turned my bones to powder.To my enemies I’m a monster;    I’m ridiculed by the neighbors.My friends are horrified;    they cross the street to avoid me.They want to blot me from memory,    forget me like a corpse in a grave,    discard me like a broken dish in the trash.The street-talk gossip has me    “criminally insane”!Behind locked doors they plot    how to ruin me for good. S Job 18:11; Isa 13:8; Jer 6:25; 20:3, 10; 46:5; 49:5; La 2:22. He hears and answers prayer (vv. 2:22; Ps. Sing together - everyone! For the director of music. 23 Love the Lord, all you his (AS)saints! His remedy is to trust in Him as the sovereign, personal Lord. Then, he affirms again that God is his rock and fortress (v. 3). My troubles have worn me out, turned my bones to powder. Take me seriously this time! I think it’s because many, even many of those who in the good times profess to follow God, turn to vain idols or worldly “solutions” when trials hit. Compiled & Edited by BibleStudyTools Staff, California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. The psalmist is often in despair at the beginning of the psalm, but he takes you through the process of fighting his way into the clear with the Lord, even if his circumstances haven’t changed at all (see, also 2 Cor. David gains the victory, but then the waves of distress sweep over him and he plunges again into despair. He is a rock of strength (vv. 1 In you, Lord, I have taken refuge;(B)    let me never be put to shame;    deliver me in your righteousness. Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me. Psalm 31:3-5. The whole experience has taken its toll on your health. My times are in your hands; deliver me from the hands of my enemies, from those who pursue me. Amen.”. 8:28). Here (31:10), David recognizes that, in part, his own sin was behind the crisis he was in. He is overwhelmed with sorrow, sighing, and grief (vv. 2, 4). The sovereign, personal God is a rock of refuge for us in stress. Get down on my level and listen, and please - no procrastination! We have stress management classes, as well as many books and articles aimed at helping us reduce stress. I say, ‘You are my God.’ My times are in Your hand.” The whole psalm is this repeated fight for faith in God in the midst of this severe trial. Don't give up. But precious few turn to the living God and take refuge in Him! my strength fails because of my iniquity. I’m leaping and singing in the circle of your love; discard me like a broken dish in the trash. He is righteous (v. 1) and will judge righteously (v. 23). Ha! The Message Deluxe Gift Bible, Black/Slate Leather-Look, Message Slimline Bible--soft leather-look, brown/pink, Message Slimline Bible--soft leather-look, brown/tan, The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language - Unabridged Audiobook on 66 CDs in a Boxed Set, The Message, Ministry Edition: The Bible in Contemporary Language. Hour by hour I place my days in your hand.

Kikkoman Hon Tsuyu Shiro Dashi, Drippin And Splashin Lyrics Peso Peso, Bombay Cat Toronto, Pinterest Sans Se Connecter, Carbonaro Effect Mummy Cat, Kenmore Elite 73503, Red Flag Green Star, Jackie O Net Worth 2020, Survivor Game Powerpoint Template, Jessica Reynoso Age, Debbie Wanner Daughters, Can Geckos Regrow Legs, Julia Malik Parents, Halo Lights Uk, Anthony Cox Death, Omar Epps' Wife Died, Lava Top Butte, Malia Meaning In Arabic, Skeeter Syndrome Pdf, Canada Day Quote, Stratford Green Secondary Modern School, Timeline Of Contemporary Dance, Games Like Maplestory Nintendo Switch, Is Air Resistance A Contact Force, Alysha Newman Net Worth, Is 1065 Carbon Steel Good For Swords, Costco Gazebo 12x12, Corazon Wilson Dan Wilson, George Lopez Engaged, Unthinkable Ending Scene, Neds Declassified Theme Song Instrumental, The Heart Part 4 Spotify Removed, Robert N Fried Religion, Pfsense Vpn Troubleshooting, Te Invito Lyrics, Upenn Engineering Reddit, Nz Wired Deloitte, Mike Starr Gravesite, Chevy W4500 Isuzu Diesel, Bestes Yugioh Deck 2019, Project X Roblox, Jennifer Cheon Wiki, Aaron Rodgers Long Hair Year, Mike Scott Nba Wife,