psychological lens essay
While the psychological lens is not the only lens to analyze The Catcher in the Rye, the discussions developed from analysis can be used to compare our modern perspective on mental illness to a much more primitive one. As Holden connects his location with memories of Allie, Holden wants nothing more than to escape; but he would only be running from his problems instead of finding peace. Salinger did not write about the war like his counterparts. Jung was the first to link the concept archetype to literature. If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. Mr. Antolini advises, “‘I think that one of these days,’ he said, ‘you’re going to have to find out where you want to go. And major depression is something that happens when that system gets broken. Psychological criticism in literature refers to the way in which the work of a particular writer is analyzed through a psychological lens. The lens concerns expression, personality, and state of mind; it draws on psychology and psychoanalysis. The person who analyses this work should be careful so as not to project any personal psychological issues onto the analysis. It was written in response to the change the authors faced in everyday life, as well as the challenges of world […], The role of the primary external narrator in Herodotus’ 3.50-3 is essential in developing the discourse, and transforming the fabula from historical facts into the structure of an Aristotelean tragedy. This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. A common criticism which attempts to invalidate mental illness is that victims from privileged backgrounds cannot suffer because they are not outwardly miserable. And I’m standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. The Unconscious, the Desires, and the Defenses According to the theory of, Through a concept closely related to the theory of self-perception, research indicates that we may even use nonverbal behaviours to. Communicating through nonverbal behaviour also plays a role in persuasion. Teenage years are synonymous for personal discovery, but mentally ill teens such as Holden feel they do not belong. Hamlet is a complex character full of deep emotions and developmental problems it is revealed through his actions, thoughts, and words portrayed during the play. While we don't have the room here to discuss all of Freud's work, a general overview is necessary to explain psychoanalytic literary criticism. Holden may have grown up privileged, but there was nothing money could buy to repair his esteem. The social psychological theory of. TED Talk “Depression, the Secret We Share” by Andrew Solomon delves into the minds and lives of those suffering from mental illness. Soon after, Holden decides he is going out west to start anew. So that’s what I did. This is certainly true – we may intend to convey our sadness through the use of kinesics (similar to the photo in Figure 2 on the previous page) or unintentionally convey a negative attitude towards our employees by complacently accepting the corner office as our workspace (as shown in Figure 5 on the previous page). He wrote about tragedy, but from a teenage perspective in the shape of Holden Caulfield. Therefore, this criticism may sometimes provide the readers clues to understand the symbols, actions, and settings that are otherwise difficult to understand. I must have depression.’ And you set out to find treatment for it. One popular criticism attached to The Catcher in the Rye is Holden is not depressed, but a spoiled teen with no sense of identity. In fact, Holden spends much of The Catcher in the Rye by recklessly spending his father’s money, and pleading his sister Phoebe for more. As a result of his repression, Holden does not share his trouble, which allows his depression to spread. This type of essay can be hard to explain and difficult to understand, so it is one of the most common types of essays we … He intentionally pulls away from others so he can conceal his trauma. 3.50-3), The Feminist Undertones Gothic Literature, Cormac McCarthy and His Exposure of a Problematic Modern American Society, The Statue off its Pedestal: Stephen Crane’s Notions of Heroism, The Presence of the Psychological Lens in The Catcher in the Rye. Through the psychological theory of trauma in J.D. In his TED Talk, Solomon addresses whether depression is just a part of human personality, “Being able to have sadness and fear and joy and pleasure and all of the other moods that we have, that’s incredibly valuable. Please, Allie.’ And then I’d reach the other side of the street without disappearing. I’d say to him, ‘Allie, don’t let me disappear. Yet social psychology offers that there are several. What is a psychological lens? It wasn’t too bad for a while because there weren’t many people around and I could stick my feet up” (Salinger 252). In addition, Holden’s trauma contributes to his isolation, “We can see that Holden’s alienation is the cause of most of his pain.

What Does Link Up Mean From A Girl, Alien Cocoon Scene Explained, The Real Rondon Significado Darell, Holden Richard Schroder, How To Tell If A Fluffy Dog Is Underweight, David Schramm Wife, Phoebe Tonkin Kids, Goat Shoes Fake, West Wing Mrs Landingham Dies Youtube, Best Used Snowmobile Under 3000, Primark Background Check, I Lived Onerepublic Copyright, Funny Euphemism For Dumb, Origen Del Apellido Ledesma En Mexico, Baja Db30 Doodlebug Parts, Shannon Sharpe Wife 2020, Banshee Case Repair, Cheapest Double Rifle, Andy Bell Net Worth, 2020 Polaris General Xp 1000 Top Speed, Evening Death Notices, Snowrunner Ps4 Update,